Sunday, September 16, 2012

What is a Composite? | Professional Baby Photographer - Berlin, Ocean City, Salisbury, MD

Composite photos are the process of taking 2 or more photos and merging them together, this is something that takes time and practice to accomplish.  Some of my newborn photos I post are actually composites.   The first thing I go over with clients when they arrive is newborn safety.  We go over basics and when it is time for composite poses, mom or dad will assist.  I also stress that if at anytime mom or dad is uncomfortable with a pose, we will stop and move on to the next.  I give 2-3 hours for newborn sessions; however, much of that time is spent on mom and dad feeding and caring for baby.  The sessions are usually close to an 1.5-1 3/4 for newborn and then depending on whether mom and dad want photos with the baby or sibling shots, that usually makes up the difference in time.

Babies have weak neck muscles and they are not strong enough to hold up the weight of their own head at this age.  The photo below shows how I am able to accomplish a sitting up photo without baby ever holding their own head up.  Some babies will naturally hold this pose and you might feel like they are strong enough but it isn't good for them and I would rather be safe than sorry and have someone spot them.


The next photo is an interesting photo and not one that I would normally jump to do.  Parents were leaving that afternoon and wanted a beach photo.  Thankfully it was overcast and being that I have an Assateague Photographers permit, we went to Assateague to take this photo.  As you can see from the composite, mom was with baby the whole time and for me to achieve a look showing much of the face, I head swapped from another photo.  I prefer the more studio, comfortable, snuggly photos to this but I think this was a nice change of pace and fun to try.


A trend I have seen online is the hanging poses, with baby "falling out" on a hammock or snoozing.  This can be done without baby ever leaving the ground or whatever the photographer is using to pose on.  If a photographer hangs your baby with space between baby and whatever they are working with, it is ok to ask them not to.  This could be a risky situation for your baby.

Pets...I have been asked about pets a couple of times (usually dogs).  I like dogs, I recently became a dog owner myself.  My first issue with laying your baby on your dog for me to take the photo is that if something were to go wrong, it would be my insurance and my business reputation on the line.   I use studio lighting and maybe a dog who has always been docile may become frightened of the pops of flash or react negatively.  My suggestion to this which I am happy to try is posing baby and dog with mom and dad.  I like these sort of family photos using dogs when done safely.  It could possibly be done as a composite if planned and researched ahead of time but again, mom and dad would be on dog and with baby at all times.  My second concern with this is the unpredictable behavior around my studio equipment.



One last trend I want to touch on is glass vases, jars, candy dishes, etc.  There are a lot of great blogs written with examples using a doll to show what can happen if the glass breaks so I don't need to show that but as a parent, if it looks like a bad idea, it probably is.  It is ok to tell your photographer no if an alarm goes off in your head and you are uncomfortable with something.  No matter how colorful and cute your baby may look stuffed in a jar of gumballs, if it is not done without the baby ever being in the glass, I wouldn't let them do it.

Why post this?  Sure some of these are tips that help make my photos what they are and it might take a pinch of the "magic" out of them.  There is a growing problem with people seeing newborn photos and wanting to imitate them and not knowing that they are composites and potentially putting babies in danger.  Whether it be new photographers or parents foregoing paying for a photographer.  It has taken me a full year to find what I really like in doing my newborn photos, what works for me and what doesn't.  Most of what I see from others' styles just isn't my style and what is great about there being a wealth of photographers looking for business right now is that there is something for everyone and at every budget.  It has taken me an entire year to find what colors and equipment I like to use and what I can live without.  How I like to set up and what order I find works for me.  What I am sure of though is doing newborn photography.  The workout that comes from a two hour session, the hard work that goes into the session before and long after the session itself is done, the amount of laundry!?!, the clean up and sterilizing, as much more work than it is than any other kind, I haven't found another type of session that gives that feeling of beauty and accomplishment upon finish to date.

Please book your newborn photos with me in advance.  To ensure availability, I like to set a tentative date about two months ahead of delivery.  The past couple of months I have been filling up and wouldn't have been able to fit any last minute sessions, don't miss out, book early!

No comments:

Post a Comment